Sunday, August 26, 2012

Grandma Joyce.

Wednesday, August 22, my sweet grandma passed away. Although she WAY outlived any doctors expectations, its still been really hard to see her go.
My whole life my grandparents have lived just around the corner from me. I saw them very regularly. They've just been there. It's weird to think she won't be there next time I go over there or that she won't be dropping by with grandpa to see what we're up to.
She is my first grandparent to pass away and it's been weird, shes's also the first person who I've been close to, to pass away.
Not only that but I'm named after her.
I've heard the story that when I was very young and people asked me my name I would reply, "Lindsey Grandma Joyce Oakes". I am dang lucky to be named after her!
Boy do I miss her!
We all do.

I remember when I was 5 or 6 I got some cherry chapstick and I wanted her to use it and smell it and she told me she didn't have a sense of smell, or taste for that matter but she could imagine it smelled great and was really glad that I loved the smell so much.
She was always so supportive of all her grandchildren too.
She made it to more extracurricular activities than anyone else I know. She was always at every single one of my volleyball or basketball games.
And she especially loved to come watch my little brothers' high school basketball games. She never missed one. I'll bet she knows more about that sport than I do.
Growing up we would have family get togethers' for all the major holidays. Grandma always made her infamous "rainbow jell-o". It was the best! You could peel all the layers apart and play with it! We'd pretend the clear layers were glasses, it was good stuff! I am really going to miss that!
Another time, when I was 7 I was over at the park behind her house. I was running under an old metal slide and misjudged the height and bashed my forehead into it so hard it knocked my tooth loose. I ran back to grandmas crying and she fed me some ice cream that my tooth later fell out in.
She has hand made so many blankets for me that I now cherish. One year for Christmas she even made me a doll that looks just like me! I was pretty excited when I found that last night, even though shes pretty worn out!

I can think of numerous camping trips she took me and my sister on and playing tons of cards together. I remember hanging out and building their cabin, I even learned to ride my bike on her gravel driveway!
Mostly, I just remember her always BEING there. She has always been there for every event; birthdays, holidays, sporting events, concerts, weddings, baby blessings, etc.
I was really hoping she would make it to my wedding. It's going to be really tough to not have her there. I'm so glad she got to see my dress, and got to be here for most of the planning. I'm glad that she gave me her advice on garments and the temple the last time I saw her :)
I hope she knows how much I love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment